Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Hunting Fossils

Mindy and Ella digging

Max, digging, from the root ball of a tree , dangling himself from a precipice. I guess that whole "falling out of the tree incident" didn't go to his head

Archaeopteris, far upper left; True fern leaf, lower right


Another Archaeopteris



Alex with his finds


We went on a fossil hunt with the Chattanooga Nature Center. The Nature Center is another one of those little gems nestled here in Chattanooga. This is where Sophie and Max go to Nature Camp in the Summer.

We were to be hunting fern fossils in a giant scrap pile left over from when there was a coal mine in the area. This is one of the best places to find fossil ferns in Georgia.

We weren't disappointed! I bent down, picked up a rock, and lo and behold, I'd found a perfect specimen of an archaeopteris. On the very same rock, there was a true fern leaf imprint. It was awesome...you couldn't not find a fossil!

When I first mentioned the idea of a fossil hunt, Max didn't want to go. He thought it would be boring. On the day of the trip, he seemed up for it, but not very enthusiastic. At the end of the day, he stayed longer than the rest of us because he was having such a blast. He said, "This was a lot different than I thought it was going to be. I'm glad I came."

Strewing the path.

2 comments:

kelli said...

That looks like so much fun and so cool!

Madeline Rains said...

I've nominated you for an award. See my blog. And thanks again for being such a cool woman in my kids lives (as well as your kids' lives: )