Thursday, February 12, 2009

Remembering

Hanging out with Grandmother Payne at our family reunion in 2006
Grandmother Payne with her 7 children...my mom is on the far left.

My grandmother died on Monday. She was just shy of 91. She lived a very eventful life, filled with amazing accomplishments as well as very difficult rough spots. I believe she was ready to die, and was lucky enough to have my mom and aunt with her.
Two plus years ago, my mom and aunt brought my grandmother down South from the Chicago area. They were hoping to help make what might be her last years more comfortable. They found a great retirement home in the same town as my aunt lives, and close enough to my mom that she could visit often.

Before she moved into the retirement home, my grandmother lived with my mom and dad for a couple of months. During this time, the kids and I also lived with my mom and dad while we were in the process of moving and selling our house. John had already relocated to start his job. I am very thankful for this funky situation that found us all together for a couple of weeks. My grandmother was really smart. She was a voracious reader and huge sports fan. I loved talking with her about little things...like how she used to make vegetable soup and what her life was like growing up. We discussed the merits of owning a cow rather than a goat, and she shared her memories of having both as a child.

While we were there, Grandmother Payne and Ella forged a bond that rather defies explanation. My grandmother is known for being extraordinarily stubborn. For example, she had always insisted that everyone call her Grandmother Payne. No grandma, no granny, etc. Just Grandmother Payne, or she wouldn't answer. Ella has also always marched to own beat, challenging those around her to hear her. They took to one another almost instantly. Ella always wanted to sit next to her at dinner. It was really cool.

I remember feeling a similar bond with Grandmother Payne, even though we didn't really see her much growing up. One of my clearest memories of her when I was a kid was when we lived in Colorado. I was about 9 years old. Being the youngest of 5 kids, many times I felt left out, ignored, and not heard. Grandmother Payne was visiting us, and I got really upset and my feelings were really hurt by my siblings. Grandmother Payne came down to my room and asked if she could come in. I let her in, we locked the door, and stayed in there for what felt like hours. She helped me clean my room, and refused to talk to any of the other kids when they came knocking on my door trying to find out what we were doing. It was our little conspiracy, and it made me feel very special that she was there only with me. That feeling is what I sensed she had with Ella.

I will always remember that special time we had, and the special bond she and Ella shared at the end of her life. Here's to you Grandmother Payne...you will always be remembered.

5 comments:

kelli said...

I'm sorry about your grandmother Mindy. They are certainly special :)

Sarah said...

What a wonderful tribute. She sounds like she was an amazing woman.

Madeline Rains said...

Yes, this was a beautiful tribute. I feel like I knew her. I remember seeing that picture and asking you about her last year. (hugs)

gail said...

I just saw this today, Mindy. Many hugs. So wonderful that you were able to spend this time with her.

Ronnie said...

((Mindy)) I'm behind on blogs and thus rather late with my condolences. I'm sure you will miss this special lady, but I'm so glad you shared her with us!