Saturday, March 8, 2008

Passion Flower

Last night I experienced the most incredible, beautiful, powerful dance performance ever! My friend Ann, who taught the creative movement class Max and I took, performed her powerful new work, Passion Flower. Ann is so amazing. I had never seen her perform, just knew her as a great and inspirational person, mom, friend. Her energy is contagious and I felt drawn to her even before we ever met. Over the past couple of years, I have been a bit disillusioned with dance as a performance. Most of the performances I have seen have lacked a connection...I almost can't put words to it, but they have just been missing something. I kept finding myself questioning why the dancers were performing. Was is just to show their incredible skill? I wanted something more. I wanted passion. I wanted the dance to be representational of something the artist had experienced. I wanted to see something other than the presentation of beautiful bodies in beautiful motion. It's not so much that I want the performance to make a statement, but to be connected to something personal and meaningful and powerful. The intent is so important to me. Ann's performance touched me like no other. I felt her power and pain and love. I just have goosebumps and feel so lucky and privileged that I got to witness this firsthand. It was everything dance and art can be...

No comments: