Saturday, August 9, 2008

"Quilting Camp"

"Practice" Quilting
Applique Completed


Quilting the pillow

Pool Break

Watermelon Break

Grandma and Sophie


Sophie quilting

Stuffing the pillow

Embroidery on the final product

Sophie's first quilting project- A tulip appliqued pillow!




Sophie spent a week and a half with my Mom learning how to quilt. In addition to Sophie learning how to quilt, this time allowed my Mom a glimpse into our unschooling lives that has until now remained unseen. My Mom has never really embraced our unschooling lifestyle, she more "tolerates" it. In the past, I've tried to explain why we do what we do, but it always ends up with me sounding defensive and her sort of glazing over. She just never wanted to hear it. Until now. She was continually blown away by how quickly Sophie learned this rather difficult new skill. She learned how to applique, hand quilt, and embroider. Sophie kept telling her things like, "That's what unschoolers do. When we find something we love, we just do it and do it until we get good at it." My Mom saw the intensity with which Sophie embraced the project, many nights staying up past 11:00pm to quilt. She also saw how Sophie would take breaks, watching tv, playing her DS, or swimming when she needed a change a pace. My Mom made the comment to me that she couldn't teach all of her grandchildren how to quilt, that Sophie was exceptional. I told her of course she couldn't teach them all, because they all didn't want to learn how to quilt. If they did, it would be just as easy. Sophie and my Mom had a blast. We're already planning on her next trip to learn patchwork. I am so grateful for my Mom sharing not only her expertise, but her passion and love with Sophie. I know this experience will be something neither one of them ever forgets. Although the final product was a beautiful pillow, this project was definitely about the journey.

No comments: