Sunday, December 2, 2007

To Blog or Not To Blog

I have about 4 drafts of blogs that I was going to post, then didn't get the pictures I wanted, then too much time went by, so I never posted them. Man!

We have been having a great time just being. Maybe that's why I haven't blogged. I have felt like any blog I wrote would just be a running itinerary of our lives. While this would not be terribly interesting reading, it would at least give me a little piece of what our lives were like at this particular moment in time. At first I didn't want to do this, but as time passes I am beginning to think it is important. I want to remember the little things that made up our days together.

One of my never posted blogs was Ella's birth story. I wanted to put up pictures of her as a newborn and of her today. I couldn't get the old pictures to scan, so I decided not to post it. But I really want to have that story recorded. And, as I was looking through the old pictures, I wanted to remember what a day was like then...what the kids were interested in , what we did with our days. I always think I'll remember these things, then I'll see a picture and wish I knew what it felt like on that day.

Long story short, I think I do want a bit of the record-keeping thing. My life right now with my kids will be gone and I'll wish I could remember a piece of it. Although pictures are very important to me, there is something about writing the little experiences down that captures something else. Let the boring blogs begin!

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Yes, I have the same thoughts at times. I don't want my blog to be a boring litany like some of the Christmas letters I am about to get :)
But, our family really likes looking back at the ordinary stuff documented in a fun way. Now that I never develop pictures I have to do something lol.
For what it is worth, I love reading about what other unschoolers are doing when they are simply and beautifully doing LIFE.

mindy said...

Jessica, I also love reading the simple things other unschoolers are doing...be it a struggle or just fun days in this fabulous life.

Madeline Rains said...

I'm relieved. When I started reading this post I was afraid it was possibly your last! Blog about the every day - that is so much fun for us to read. I agree - it is hard to believe when I do it too and I remember you telling me....!

kelli said...

Mindy, I hope you'll blog for *you* and don't worry about the rest :)

I love *visiting* in on other unschooling families; seeing what they're up to~ I think a birth story would be beautiful to hear,

so glad you've joined the blogging world!

mindy said...

I know, I know! It's so much easier to see in other people than myself. And yes, I do want to blog for myself...so I will have these moments of our lives recorded for me to peruse in future years when it's not all so fresh.