Friday, December 21, 2007

Early Christmas

We are going to be at my Mom and Dad's for Christmas this year, so we decided to have a small Christmas morning this morning at our own house. The kids drew names and were each other's secret santa. I totally left the gift buying up to them and did not try to exert my usual control-over-everything-because-I-want-it-all-to-be-perfect. Some of their choices were not what I would have chosen, and in my former state of all-controlling, I probably would have tried to convince them to pick something else. Thank God I am letting go of some of that control. They keep telling each other how much they love their presents and how perfect they were. It was a great morning.

John and I also exchanged gifts. The kids and I got him everything he needs to get started keeping bees for honey. He was so surprised and had no idea. I love surprising people with something totally unexpected. John got me a TomTom GPS navigation system for the car. I could get lost in a paper bag, so this gift was very appropriate. As a matter of fact, last night I was driving home from some shopping, listening and singing to my Amy Steinberg cd, missed my exit and got temporarily lost... in my own town, on the way home from the store. I think I'm going to love my TomTom.

The kids have moved on to creating a photo shoot for something Sophie read about in her American Girl Magazine. Max is the make-up artist, Sophie the hair stylist, Alex the photographer, Ella the model, and Sophie and Max are sharing responsibility as artistic director. In the background Alex is shooting his new cap gun, Max is plaing with his new twirling juggling sticks, Sophie is wearing her new necklace, and Ella is posing with her new webkin panda bear. Life is good.

3 comments:

kelli said...

Fun, fun! That coat rocks!

Happy Holidays to you guys :)

mindy said...

Thanks Kelli!
Have a wonderful White Christmas!

Madeline Rains said...

Mindy, I love your family. I can't wait to hear more.