Monday, December 17, 2007

Amazing Women

I'm feeling the need to write a little bit about some of the women who I have been influenced, inspired and amazed by in the last several years of my life. In this season of gratitude and thankfulness, I am truly honored to know and have known these ladies.

Sandra , Anne ,and Kelly: These three women were instrumental in lighting the path of unschooling for me. In the very beginning of my journey, each of them provided for me a guide into this world of trust, respect, and freedom. Sandra with her directness and willingness to share, ad nauseum, the finer points of giving up control over, and over and over again for those of us who resisted. Anne with her gentleness and true love shining brightly. Anne has helped me to become a much gentler parent, one who actively seeks the shine, even when it's not readily apparent. Kelly, who had the strength and courage to bring us all together, time and again. My life has been changed because forever because of these women.

Elizabeth showed me, through her amazing life and ultimately her death, how to be content and appreciative for all the things and people I am blessed with in my life. She brought meaning to the whole "Don't sweat the small stuff" idea. She showed me how important it was to live fully and with gratitude every single day of my life. To cherish the arguments, the yucky stuff, the inevitable ups and downs because it's all a part of the blessing of life. I remember very clearly her need to know that her life had meant something. Her life did mean something: It meant that every person who shared her life would appreciate and be even a little more grateful for the things and people they had in their lives.


Amy is my former dance partner from what seems like another lifetime ago. Amy brought to my life a remembrance of being silly, talking about nonsense and about the meaning of life...all over Turkish coffee. Amy was my first real adult woman friend. Amy helped me to see life a little less seriously. Man, we had fun. I miss her a lot. I don't know if we'll ever find a way to be to each other what we were. We've both moved on, her to an isolated village in Alaska (yes, the woman has some big cajones!) but I will always cherish that time and she will always hold a very special place in my heart.






I always knew Madeline and I were meant to be friends....even before I met her. When I first moved to GA and started reading the GaUnschoolers list, Madeline stood out as a like minded soul. She writes with such clarity and eloquence, I couldn't wait to finally get to know her. We got to know each other over many shared meals at the Live and Learn conference . I am grateful we live close enough to visit each other and continue our friendship. Madeline's beauty and creativity and passion shine so brightly, I am glad she is a part of my life.




Lastly, my girls, Sophie and Ella. I cannot figure out how I ended up with these amazing people in my life. I feel such gratitude in being their mother. I feel so darn lucky and sometimes just sit back and bask in their incredible glow.

1 comment:

Madeline Rains said...

I am honored to be your friend, Mindy, and to be grouped with these fabulous women. I had to laugh when I read that you thought I wrote so clearly as I thought about how NOT clearly I speak - mixing up names, places and often... all words. Of course, that doesn't shut me up!

Again, thanks for such a good weekend.