Monday, November 12, 2007

Hanging out with Friends

The Belgian and the Englishman
Happy Family
The hostess with the most-est

Gillen with the wind at his back

Friends at the farm
Ingredients for Farm Soup...and of course the Bushmills

Making Farm Soup
Alex's Masterpiece... Delicious!



I was so not surprised to wake up this morning, check my favorite blog pages, and discover Madeline had already posted about our incredibly fun weekend at their house. She's good. What can I add that she didn't already say?
Oh yeah, for those that don't me...I'm a talker. Especially when I have someone who I not only connect with, but have sooo much to share about. I felt like the kid who isn't allowed candy, and then for a weekend, all the candy in the world is available, so he eats and eats because he's afraid there will be no more candy at the end. I talked and talked, afraid of not getting everything said before the end our weekend. Poor Madeline! She had no idea I could talk that much!!!

When I wasn't talking, we were having such an amazing time. Their home is sooo homey and comfortable. It's the kind of home where you instantly feel at ease. This is obviously a result of the people who live there. They make you feel welcome and completely open up not only their home, but their lives to you. And I never saw the old rugs, but their new FLOR was beautiful.

And I loved being understood when we were having meltdown issues. Someone who just let us go through what we needed to go through...I love hanging out with unschoolers!

We had so many laughs. Especially "It's business time". If you haven't seen this Flight of the Concords YouTube video, check it out. Warning!!!! This may not be suitable for young viewers. Don't however let this stop you from watching it. It's hilarious!

I am also all about the stories. I love, and have always loved hearing people's stories. How they got to where they are, how they met their true love, how they decided what to spend their time doing and pursuing, how they came to parenthood, and then parenting, etc. In between all of my talking, I did get to hear Madeline's, and Nicolas's, and Gillen and Jesse's stories. I always knew, even before meeting her, that I wanted to know Madeline. I am so honored that we are friends.

Then there's the baseball game. Madeline and I had to be convinced to go play. I ended up having a blast, and Madeline turned out to be our ace in the hole. She hit more RBI's than anyone else!
Their farm was beautiful, and we loved the personal tour by Nicolas. He's really good at what he does, and is so passionate about it! So much so that Alex was inspired to create his soup later that day with all that he gathered.
I can't wait to go back ...






2 comments:

Madeline Rains said...

Oh Mindy! I loooved the talking. What do you mean, "poor Madeline." Did you hear Nicolas thanking you for talking to me so much? I love good conversation, and my guys - not so much. We are going through withdrawal today.

mindy said...

Yes, a little withdrawal here too...Sophie made pancakes, from start to finish, and instead of the size we usually make, she wanted to make big ones, like Gillan's, in the cast iron pan...