Wednesday, July 29, 2009

New Skills

When an obviously sick raccoon appeared near the house the other day, I couldn't even figure out how to load our shotgun. After having to call our neighbor over to shoot it, I decided I needed to know how to load and shoot the shotgun. John gave me a quick primer, I hit my intended target, and that was it. Until yesterday. Another raccoon appeared, this one not looking sick at all. She was at the compost pile, right by all of our chickens and our back deck. For those of you who don't know, raccoons are notorious chicken killers and egg stealers. After nary a moments thought, I called for Max to bring me the shotgun. I took aim, and sacked my first coon. We did some research to decide if we thought the raccoon might have rabies. Other than being out in the daylight, it showed no other signs of being rabid. Deciding it was safe to preserve the hide, Alex got busy with his new found camp skills. He gutted and skinned the raccoon. We spent the afternoon discussing various aspects of anatomy, hunting vs. killing, etc. while we watched Alex work. And work he did. He's going to tan the hide when we get back from Florida.



7 comments:

Jessica said...

Daggone girl, you're gettin all ole yeller on us! Did you shoot him with or without the apron on? You look great defending the homestead.

Ren Allen said...

You're a regular Ingalls-Wilder these days girl! :)

Heather said...

That is the cutest freaking picture. I love it.

kelli said...

You know you do rock :) it was great seeing you guys, we'll see you all soon!

Madeline Rains said...

HA! I love the apron/rifle combo! I am loving my apron, too, by the way. Check will be in the mail this week. : )

Theresa said...

Too cool of a photo

Unknown said...

Mindy, Annie Oakley doesn't have a thing on you! Especially a pretty apron! I can't believe you got him on your first shot! Love, Mom