Monday, March 23, 2009

Playing Catch Up - Part Two

When the kids are away....







Nina took the kids, yes, all four of them, with her when we left Atlanta. That gave John and I four days of just us.

I have to say, I sure missed my tv companions! The kids and I love watching tv together. John...not so much. The only thing he watches on tv is soccer, not my thing, and the occasional old b&w movie, not the kids' thing.
I worked on some sewing projects. Uninterrupted. I still did not get as much done as I thought I would.

And John took one day off from work. We spent the morning lounging around the house. John watched one of those old movies and I did more sewing, all the while sipping coffee together. We ventured out on a fabulous hike at Cloudland Canyon. It's a gorgeous state park 20 minutes from our house. After the hike, we went to the YMCA where they have a pool, hot tub, sauna, and steam room all connected and communal. We spent the better part of 3 hours soaking and steaming before heading off to dinner out at a local eatery. There is just about nothin' better than soaking and steaming and sweating. I felt like I was at my favorite Japanese bath house and spa in Sante Fe, NM...Ten Thousand Waves. Luxury. And at the Y, it only cost $2.

I met back up with the kids at Madeline's. The kids had a blast seeing each other. Madeline and I had more great conversation and of course fabulous food.

It was great to have the kids home. I realized that my life and what I choose to do was very much the same while they were gone. It demonstrated to me that I am living the life of my dreams. I am doing exactly what fills me with the most joy and happiness.

3 comments:

gail said...

I've found the same thing when my kids are gone. A cool realization that we're living authentic lives all the time.

laura said...

me too!! i never do get the whole "you MUST find all this time for yourself away from the kids" stuff that people deem necessary for an authentic and fulfilled life. i LOVE the life the kids and i have together and how fun and comfortable it is just being in our space together hanging out.

mindy said...

Authentic...yes indeed!