Friday, January 30, 2009

Australia

I finally got to see Australia! I have wanted to see this film....well...forever. I thought I would have to await dvd viewing, but it made to our $1 movie!!!! I had to ask the kids to give me the gift of watching it with me, as they weren't all thrilled with the description I had provided. Oh man, it was fabulous. I love being swept away into a story, into characters, into a landscape. This movie did all of that for me. I am a huge fan of the director, Baz Luhrmann , and am blown away by his vision and ability for making movies. The kids' reaction was mixed. They liked it more than they thought they would, but always have a hard time when a character they have grown to love or identify with dies. I am at a loss as to how to explain that the sadness of losing someone (even a beloved fictional character) can still lead to enjoyment, understanding, awareness, and in the end, even happiness. The story provoked a wide range of discussions, which will weave themselves in and out of our lives for years to come. This is one of the glories of being open to beauty, learning, passion, and art in all of the varied formats available to us.

5 comments:

gail said...

I want to see this one too. We haven't been to a movie in a while and there are several out now that I think I would love. Cool that the kids went for you..:-)

Madeline Rains said...

That is so cool that they agreed to go! I wanted to see this really badly but had heard it was awful (just in reviews) so am so glad to hear your review.

kelli said...

I want to see it too. Abbi went when she was in Maryland. You didn't mention the water scene with Hugh?? She said it's... ahem... nice. *g*

laura said...

"I had to ask the kids to give me the gift of watching it with me"

that is really a beautiful way to ask them to come!

oh yeah, you should put a spoiler alert at the top...LOL!!

i hope to see this too, although i'm not a big fan of nicole kidman.

mindy said...

I didn't say "who" died :)