Saturday, June 28, 2008

My Sweet Sophie's Birthday




My Blessing Way


Newborn Sophie
9 month old Sophie
1 year old Sophie
2 year old Sophie

3 year old Sophie
7 year old Sophie
8 year old Sophie
9 year old Sophie

10 year old Sophie
10 year old Sophie with short hair
11 year old Sophie
Happy Birthday!





Sophie turned 11 on June 24th. We celebrated at my parents' house, with swimming, ribs, homemade rolls, and the infamous birthday torte. I am so happy to have Sophie in my life. Her birth was just as amazing as she is. I was fortunate to have two incredible midwives assisting me for what was my second homebirth. After about 6 hours of labour, Sophie was born in the caul. She has proven every step of the way that the old midwives tale of a person that is born in the caul is extrodinary and considered something of a wise spirit. Oh so true for Sophie. I love this sweet, soft-spoken girl who is so unlike me. Happy Birthday my love!

7 comments:

Wendy said...

Happy Belated Birthday Sophie! I cannot wait to get to know you better.

Madeline Rains said...

We love that beautiful girl as well. What is being born in the caul?

mindy said...

Thanks guys!
Wendy, we also look forward to spending some time with you guys and getting to know you better!

Madeline, born in the caul means the baby is born into the amniotic sack...the sack comes out first, kinda like a balloon, and the baby is born into the sack, before it breaks. It was the first time for our midwife, and at that time she had assisted over 500 births. It is considered very special, and that the baby born is a wise spirit. By the way, the cards were beautiful...thank you so much, and please thank the fellas for Sophie!

Wendy said...

I must tell y'all the the picture of "10 year old Sophie with Short Hair" inspired Shelby. She cut her today almost exactly like that. :-) She liked it that much! I'll post pics on my blog soon.

Ren Allen said...

I didn't know she was born with a caul! That explains why I always feel her eyes are looking right into my soul.

Have you read "The Birth House" yet? There is some of that lore and legend interwoven in the story. You'd love it.

Happy Birthday sweet Sophie!! (even though it's late)

mindy said...

REN!!! Yes, the capital letters were meant as a yell!!! Howdy there! Thanks for stopping by. Yes, Sophie has a wise way about her. We're looking forward to seeing you soon with this whole southeastern unschooler thang. So glad to hear from you!

Alex Polikowsky said...

another Happy Birthday (belated)!!
My son MD turned 6 the same day!!!