Thursday, October 4, 2007

So why "Dancing Chickens"?


Max and partner during our Creative Dance Class


Mindy and partner during our Creative Dance Class



Some of our flock


Well, the chicken part started with my nicknames for my kids...little chicken, chickee-boo, chi-chi. I think I have always wanted chickens in my life, but never really knew it.

So, one night at bedtime, I said to Max, "Good night little chicken". He hugged me tight, thought for a minute, and replied, "I love you...big chicken". So once more, my child stole my heart.

All of this was long before we actually had our yard birds.

So next is the dancing part. Dancing plays an important role in my life. It fills a little piece of my soul. That little piece that needs just me, Mindy. Not Wife. Not Mom. Only Dancer. I love that part of me, but never want it to take over. I like how it's just a piece...part of the whole.

Lastly comes the chickens themselves. They represent to me all that has shifted since our move to our ridge one year ago. That subject to be tackled in a future blog entry. I LOVE our chickens. I also love our fresh eggs, but would love our chickens even if they didn't produce eggs. And yeah, I know, big problem if we ever decide to raise meat chickens. I really do like them so much. Sometimes I just sit on the back deck and watch and enjoy their antics.

They don't dance, our chickens. But we do. In the physical sense, we love to move our bodies to music, challenge ourselves to try new movements, and sometimes just flail, mosh pit style, to let ourselves go. We also dance in the more ethereal sense. We're constantly trying to figure out each other's rhythms, how we can fit in with each others lives, how to try new things, and how to just flail...exerting ourselves with no purpose other than pure enjoyment. No goal, no end point, just along for the fun of the moment.

So "Dancing Chickens" it is!

6 comments:

Madeline Rains said...

I'm so excited to see you share your dance here!! SO excited. : )

I so relate to you about the personal and family dancing. But the chickens? I'm just not big hearted enough I guess to have fallen for our chickens, or I don't get to watch them enough, or I know that I will be one day be eating the roosters (we killed many roosters last year). You could convince me to take another look.

Welcome to blog land!

kelli said...

Yay!

Mindy! :)
I followed you from Madeline's ;) great to "see" you (((wave))

mindy said...

I know...the chickens!!!?? I don't know why I like them so much! Maybe it's because we only have 6 and this is all so new to me.

Unknown said...

Yay!! Dancing AND Chickens!! And MINDY!!

:)

Schuyler said...

I came to your blog yesterday and spent about 20 minutes looking for a song that I thought you'd enjoy given the name of your blog and the nature of the music you've been enjoying lately. This morning, more clearheaded, I went to youtube.com and there it was.

So, I hope you enjoy Let 'em Run. I really love The Bills. We saw them in Newcastle a year and a half ago and they were amazing.

Oh, and on a completely unrelated note, Linnaea still does tribal belly dancing. We'll be listening to something and dancing and she'll stop, take up the pose and posture and dance. I've found a belly dancing class not terribly far away, although there is no Tribal Belly Dancing in our area. I think we'll have to give it a go.

mindy said...

Schuyler,
Thank You!!! I loved that song. I am now a fan of THE Bills! I wish I knew how to uplink that video to my blog.

I am so happy Linnaea is dancing!!! YEAH! She is so beautiful and I could tell she was meant to dance!