Sunday, October 14, 2007

A little about Alex...


Alex is my oldest child. I've had him in my life for 12 years. Alex is so full of joy and kindness. He's full of ideas about....well, everything. I love his unabashed enthusiasm for all that he does. I love his ability to be game for just about anything. I love that when something doesn't fit, or feel right, he simply doesn't do it. He has a quiet confidence that speaks volumes about his spirit. He wears his heart on his sleeve and doesn't know how to hide his happiness, joy, or sadness. I feel so strongly that this characteristic which makes him so him, would have been destroyed in the school environment. He feels safe in our world, which means he doesn't have to hide his happiness, joy or sadness.

Yesterday, the library was having a teen program highlighting stand-up comedy. I asked Alex if was interested in going with me. He was, so we set off. One other child was a homeschooler, so when the event was over, I introduced myself to his mom and we started discussing unschooling. As I was talking to her, Alex was talking to the librarian. They were discussing books. Alex was showing his usual exuberance for everything he does, and was telling her all about the things he was currently reading and some of his favorite past reads. She was really excited to be talking to a kid who liked reading for reading's sake. No reports, no grades, he reads because he enjoys what it brings to his life. She proceeded to invite him to be on the teen advisory board. The advisory board was going to be working on a new teen center at the main library, a special teen spot on the website, writing book reviews and recommendations, and planning events for teens. We are both really happy and excited about the possibilities this opportunity might bring to his life.

Since yesterday, I have been reflecting on Alex and all that he has brought to my life. When he was born, I was blown away by the intensity of my love for him. Through his toddler years, I was amazed by his intelligence. As we moved into an unschooling life, I rejoiced at his ability to shine so brightly. Now, as he moves into his teen years, I am so very thankful for the deep connection to him.

No comments: