Friday, November 14, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance

We finally got to go. After 2 years of loving the passion that exudes off the small screen, we went to see the top 10 dancers from the 2008 season of So You Think You Can Dance.







Even though we had arguable the crappiest seats in the house (thanks to my unwitting trust in Ticketmaster), it was still fantastic. We fell in love again with some of our favorite dances, and I was blown away by things I saw live that did not impress me so much on TV. Mia Michael's holds a place in my heart as my favorite choreographer, but Napoleon and Tabitha are a close second. No Air, Bleeding Heart, and the whole group black and white circus number were my favorites of the night.

As great as the show was, the prelude and the company were even better. We have not seen these guys since L&L in September, so we were needing a serious fix. We met Madeline, Gillan, and Jesse at the mall to hang out for a couple of hours before the show. We decided on the mall so the kids could be excited around each other, have plenty of space to move, we could be inside, and Madeline and I could get a coffee. We also wanted space to make our giant posters with the names of our favorite dancers displayed on them. The mall was a blast. We made our posters, the kids wandered into a few shops, and then Gillan went in search of prices for a giant bungee thingy. It was only $5! Gillen, Max, Jesse, Alex, and Ella were sold immediately, but Sophie needed a bit more convincing before she would part with her cold, hard cash. It was hilarious, and the kids had a blast! When Max, got off from his first time, I heard him say to Gillan, "Dude, I'm so glad you checked the prices!" After everyone had a go, Max, Gillen and Jesse decided to have another run....I think it was too much of a good thing. They all were really tired and feeling a bit sick and sore after that second go round.

We left the mall for a pizza joint and had the best New York style pizza ever. It was the perfect place for more time together before the show.

The show was crazy! There were so many people there and it was truly exciting. We got to our seats, realized our fabulous posters were not going to work, and proceeded to strain and squirm in order to see the stage. Note to self....never, ever buy floor seats....even if Ticketmaster is trying to tell you they are the best available. Floor seats suck!

The second half of the show was phenomenal. I'm so glad we went and that we got to share something so special, that we love so much, with some of our favorite people in the whole wide world.

6 comments:

kelli said...

How exciting! I've been wondering how it went.

I've been meaning to call you, I hurt my foot last week so I sat with it up for days! Talk to you soon!

Elizabeth said...

So happy for all of you - it sounded like big fun! Please don't keep that NY pizza joint a secret! Do tell.

Madeline Rains said...

Mindy, I've been waiting for your pictures to blog about it. You did such a good job, I don't have to! It was so worth it. I watched sytycd youtube videos for over an hour the next day. sigh. I wish we could go again. Lets at least get together again soon.

mindy said...

Kelli- I am so sorry about your foot...I hope it's healing. Please call and let me know when we can see you...we're gearing up for the intro. to WoW, and would love a little time with you experts before we dive in!

Elizabeth, the pizza joint was Traditions Pizzeria in Duluth, GA. A long drive for us, but not quite so far as New York!

Madeline, my pictures sure weren't the best, but at least I got something to commemeorate the evening :) BTW, I'll keep the show dvr'd, and we can watch it together when you come visit...in Dec...for our variety show....(hint, hint, hint!)

laura said...

i'm sooo friggin jealous!!! but i'm glad you had such a great time AND that you got to hang with madeline and her crew!! cool!!

Kass said...

That looks like so much fun! I would love to go to something like that.