Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Creative Vibe




I have been working on my piece for the Dia de los Meurtos Art Trade at ARGH.


I love how this day is a celebration of those who have died. It's not mourning, but celebration. How wonderful to spend a day celebrating the wonderful lives of people we have loved that are now dead.


My only experience with death was 4 years ago. A close friend, who was my age, died from cancer. I remember one night talking to her, when the latest chemo treatment had failed and she was struggling to figure out what to do next, she told me she just wanted her life to have meant something. She wanted to know there was a reason for her suffering and ultimately her death.


Her life did mean something. Her life was a beacon for those of us who were too busy getting stuff done to notice another day had passed. She is a constant reminder to me to live my life in love with every day, to take advantage of my health, my children, my husband, my life...to take advantage of all that I have.


Elizabeth was a chef, an artist, a professional snowboarder, and an inspiration to all of us who were privileged to know her. I can't wait to celebrate all that she was, and all that she still means to me on Nov. 2.


So my art for the trade is a celebration of her. I had so much fun and was so inspired, I created several pieces instead of just the one for the trade. Thankfully, a couple of my kids have already staked their claim on the remaining pieces!

7 comments:

gail said...

Loved this post, Mindy. We've been celebrating Day of the Dead for a couple of years with our extended family and it's such a great time to remember and honor our family and friends who have died. Their continuing influences in our lives and memories of them is definitely cause for celebration. I'm doing the art trade also!

mindy said...

I am so glad you're doing the trade...I missed being at the IT weekend with you guys! I am so looking forward to celebrating my very first Dia de Los Muertos with everybody at ARGH!

kelli said...

They're wonderful Mindy, I love them!

mindy said...

Thanks Kelli!
I can't wait to see what other peoples' interpretations are!

laura said...

mmmmm, can't wait to celebrate!! these are wonderful!!

Madeline Rains said...

wow! You've outdone yourself (and you're always good:) I looove these!

Ren Allen said...

Absolutely beautiful. All of it.