Thursday, February 28, 2008

Forts

When I was growing up, our greatest quest was to build the ultimate fort. We spent hours and hours exploring, building, searching, starting over, etc. We lived in Colorado, so we spent the winter time trying to build an igloo-type fort, and the summer time tyring to build a regular fort. We never had use of any materials besides what we found in our woods. This proved rather challenging as the pine straw we used for our roof never really held for long. We never achieved that ultimate fort, but sure had a lot of fun trying.



My kids are now in this fort-building stage. They want something that is just theirs. Something they created, that is not part of the house. They started with a bunch of old chairs, blankets, sheets, rubber bands, etc. and had it all set up in the garage/basement. This lasted until we needed the various blankets for guests. They were craving something more permanent. Sophie got a HUGE tarp for Valentine's Day with the intent that it would be the perfect start to their own fort. With a little help from The Daring Book For Girls and A Kids' Guide to Building Forts, they were on their way.



Alex and Sophie with Tools of the Trade

I held back once again from trying to make sure they did everything perfect. This has been my m.o., and I'm trying desperately to change. I did fairly well and just gave my opinion as to what structure I thought would work best, as well as a list of materials and supplies they might want to gather before heading out to their chosen spot in the woods. They wanted me to check out their progress, but I decided to wait until they were completely happy with what the had created before I took a look-see.

Alex and Ella in Fort
Sophie, Ella and Rosie in Fort


They did an amazing job. I am so glad I didn't stick my nose in. This is the fort I always dreamed of as a kid...and they did it, by themselves. I hope this fort brings them many days of joy and autonomy, togetherness and satisfaction.

Sophie in the Lookout Tower
Ella in the Lookout Tower

No comments: